After graduating from the University of California at Santa Barbara, I saved up and bought a one way ticket to South East Asia, leaving my home country for the first time to teach abroad. I ended up awakening an appetite for travel that was insatiable. The world didn’t get smaller as the expression goes, it grew vastly bigger. Each door I opened and went through had me longing to scale walls and see what was going on next door. Thus began my journey and travels.
To me traveling is more than going places and seeing things. It’s discovering parts of yourself that you didn’t know were missing before you set foot in that other place. It’s learning things that uncover pieces of your soul in another land. The experiences, the people, the foods, the temples, streets, the mishaps, blunders, culture shock, the moments when you’re able to make a small difference in someone’s life, and everything in between are the things that come to define the traveler. It isn’t as simple as coming and going, but it is as easy as getting on a plane. To journey abroad doesn’t mean you have to go fearlessly into a foreign land, you just need to go.
10 Facts About Me
1. I still regard my home state of California as one of the most heavenly places on Earth.
2. If I’m sitting at a bar I either have a strawberry margarita or a strong IPA.
3. If I could be any animal I’d be a dolphin because I’m obsessed with the ocean.
4. I’ve been known to fold pepperoni pizza in half and devour the whole thing.
5. I can’t not sing to any Passion Pit or Florence + the Machine songs, they’re my all time favorites.
6. If I had to eat only one food for the rest of my life it would be sushi.
7. I don’t like romantic movies and avoid sad movies like the plague.
8. Harrison Ford is my celebrity hero and crush. Tina Fey is the celebrity that I admire most.
9. I don’t watch TV or read tabloids, but Idiot Abroad, the Vice Series Documentaries, and Game of Thrones are my exceptions.
10. If I could live in any foreign country, I’d probably choose Australia.